Tuesday, October 25, 2011

BERLIN CALLING

Response
       

      I enjoyed watching 'Berlin Calling'. I personally love techno so I could
<http://www.berlin-calling.de
/en/soundtrack> October, 2011
connect with the film in a musical aspect. This film seemed more raw then most films generated in the United States. When I say raw I am referring multiple things from this film: the use of drugs comes across as casual and isn't accompanied with dramatic after scenes like many films in the United States, the multiple sex scenes, the shots of the psych ward, scenes of the Warden admitting she has different intentions then what's implied upon Ickarus entering, multiple sex partners, and the night life. The reason I think the film is raw is also because while all of these things are happening it has a light and casual feel, much like reality. In American films, these scenes would be full of dramatic music and more violence or dramatic acting from the characters on behalf of the main character. While in reality, life is more similar to 'Berlin Calling' then any other film I've seen. The scene with Ickarus falling on the street is more realistic then many other scenes I've come across. While it isn't as exciting as Johnny Depp in 'Blow' fighting with his wife, snorting a line, and throwing clothes in a suit case running from the cops it is still just as damaging to a person's health.
<http://www.ohjohnny.net/blow/blow.html> October, 2011
         There wasn't much I saw in this film that I don't think would happen in the United States. I know that in the city of Saint Cloud, most wouldn't come across the situations that are witnessed in 'Berlin Calling', but if you hunt you could find many of them at a smaller scale. I'm sure most of the behavior portrayed in the movie occurs all over the world it's just not until a person enters a very large town that they will see most of this behavior. Depending on the religious affiliation of the country will also have a large affect on the common behavior of the society. But, as I stated before, I was shocked to see how affectionate the males were with each other. Most of the males I know will shake hands and that's the extent, but in this film they embraced each other for long periods of time. I was also surprised to see how reserved Mathilda seemed to be about her feelings on the matter of Ickarus's drug use. Most people I know don't have a problem saying more then necessary to get their opinion heard. 'Berlin Calling' was a wonderful film and I'm glad we viewed it.



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your comments and consideration - cool that this film could provide you with a glimpse of German "normality" in sub-cultures.

    ReplyDelete